Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Writer's Block

This is a great little book if you are trying to exercise your creativity or just come up with some ideas for a story. I have found that just flipping to a random page often reminds me of past ideas I've had or helps me create new connections between subjects that I had not thought of before. It's most valuable for those focused on writing fiction, but is a tool all writers can use.

The only complaint I have is that it does not hold up well long term. I've had mine about 5 years, and its shape (literally a cube) does not hold up well after you use it a few times.



Below are 7 ideas that I flipped to randomly . . . out of the 786 available.


1. Write about a near-death experience


2. Deadline


3. Write a love story set in cyberspace.


4. Prophecy


5. If you could script the plot for the dream you will have tonight, what will it be?


6. Tell a story that centers around a recipe.


7. Write about your worst habit.


Get this book here. Enjoy, and if you have any tips about how you have overcome writer's block please share them in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. When I was in the sixth grade I had a teacher who made the entire class write lines if anyone stepped out of line. I remember how my mind wandered and took to wonderful places while writing page after page of "I will not talk in class". When I hit a blockage, I start writing "I can't think of anything to write" over and over and before long, something always comes to me. My brain rebels against the tedium of the repetitive writing and works overtime to get me out of the situation. In a brief time, the ideas begin to flow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tip, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete